A bus accident can cause catastrophic injuries to passengers, motorists, and pedestrians. If you were hurt in a bus accident that was caused by another party’s negligence, you have a right to seek compensation. However, the injury claim process can be complicated. An experienced Los Angeles bus accident lawyer can help to protect your legal rights and maximize your recovery. Still, taking the right steps immediately after the collision will go a long way in ensuring you are properly compensated for your injuries and losses.
Here is what you need to know.
INJURED IN A BUS ACCIDENT IN LOS ANGELES?
The moments right after a bus collision can be extremely confusing. This may lead you to make mistakes that can jeopardize your claim. While you may have sustained injuries, compensation is not automatically guaranteed. As such, be sure to:
- Seek medical attention. Not all injuries are visible immediately. This is why you should seek medical attention even if you are not in pain. Getting examined and treated will ensure you are truly safe. You will also get a medical report, a document that will be a vital part of your claim.
- Contact the police. Unless you have sustained incapacitating injuries, call the police right after the accident happens. The police will assess the situation and prepare a legal report.
- Gather evidence if you can. Once you are safe, collect relevant evidence. This includes photos of the accident scene, vehicles involved, roadway conditions, and any visible injuries sustained. Also, gather witness statements and get the bus driver’s information. Lastly, keep all important documents relating to the accident organized and safe.
- Contact a bus accident lawyer. The final step is to reach out to a personal injury lawyer. Talk to an attorney as soon as possible after the accident. This legal expert will ensure your case is handled properly in order to enable you to get a favorable outcome.
WHEN SHOULD I CALL A LOS ANGELES BUS ACCIDENT LAWYER?
Hiring a Los Angeles bus accident lawyer will help to ensure that you are treated fairly. But when exactly should you call a lawyer?
In Los Angeles, the statute of limitations for a bus accident expires after two years. To ensure you do not lose your legal right to pursue compensation, get in touch with a lawyer as soon as you can. Make sure you call a bus accident lawyer if:
- The accident has caused significant injury. Catastrophic injuries can have far-reaching consequences. These injuries can result in permanent or long-term disability. A knowledgeable lawyer will help you get fair compensation for both economic and non-economic losses.
- Fault is not clearly established. When liability is unclear or in dispute, your lawyer will ensure that the other party’s insurance does not take advantage of you. They will collect and thoroughly assess evidence to establish the facts of the case and determine who is at fault.
- There are multiple at-fault parties. Cases with multiple at-fault parties tend to be complex. Your lawyer will conduct a thorough investigation to uncover all the defendants and ensure they are all held liable.
- You need help negotiating with insurers. Insurance companies can be stubborn. Oftentimes, they will delay or deny legitimate claims or offer you a low settlement. A lawyer can negotiate on your behalf to help you get the best possible settlement offer.
This list is by no means exhaustive. Bus accident injury claims can quickly become complicated. As such, you should always have a skilled lawyer on your side.
COMMON CAUSES OF BUS ACCIDENTS
Bus accidents occur due to many different factors. Understanding the cause of the accident can help you identify the responsible party or parties. Below are some common causes of bus accidents:
- Bus driver fatigue, distraction, or negligence
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Poor bus or equipment maintenance
- Defective manufacturing of the vehicle
- Unfavorable weather conditions
- Defective roads
- Negligence of other road users
TYPES OF INJURIES CAUSED BY BUS ACCIDENTS
Although bus accidents are rare, they can be traumatic for everyone involved when they occur. These accidents may lead to injuries that range from minor to severe. Regardless of the severity of the injuries you sustain in a bus accident, seek medical care. Common types of injuries in bus accidents include:
- Head and brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Neck injuries
- Fractured bones
- Chest injuries
- Arm and leg injuries
- Burn injuries
- Soft-tissue injuries like bruises and sprains
- Internal injuries
FINDING THE BEST LOS ANGELES BUS ACCIDENT LAWYER FOR YOU
If you or your loved one has been injured in a bus accident, choosing a Los Angeles bus accident lawyer is an important decision. However, making the right choice can be challenging. A lawyer that is experienced in handling bus accident cases will know how to push your case quickly and maximize your compensation. For a successful outcome, choose a lawyer with a track record of success.
In addition to skills and experience, hire a lawyer that you feel comfortable with. A dedicated attorney will have time for you, listen to your concerns, answer any questions you may have, and treat you with care.
Contact us today for a free consultation. You can trust that we will have your best interests in mind throughout the process.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
SHOULD I CONSULT A LAWYER AFTER A BUS ACCIDENT?
Yes. You should reach out to an experienced Los Angeles bus accident lawyer as soon as possible. A competent attorney will evaluate your case, explain your legal options, and offer objective advice. This will ensure your legal rights and interests are protected.
IS AN ACCIDENT ATTORNEY WORTH IT?
Definitely! If you have been injured in an accident, a Los Angeles bus accident attorney will handle your claim on your behalf and help you navigate complex legal issues. This will help to save you time and money and enable you to get the compensation you deserve. In the end, you will have peace of mind and ample time to focus on recovering.
HOW DO I FIND A REPUTABLE BUS ACCIDENT LAWYER?
When hiring a bus accident lawyer, you will want to be sure you will get quality legal representation. Ask if they have experience handling similar cases and if they have a history of success. Additionally, find out how they will be communicating with you and ask about their fee structure.